Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Summertime... and the music is playing



So I spent the weekend in a tent out at Mont Orford (QC) where I got to climb a mountain, sit on beach, read a book, and think about the upcoming projects in my life. It was also an urgent attempt to appreciate the last offerings of summer before I am shackled to the textbooks of post-secondary education and the winter cold keeps me captive in my own home.

(ahem...) Sorry, I'm having a hard time letting go of the summer.

I am actually excited to about the refreshing coolness in the air, the desire to start cooking hearty fall dinners, and pulling out the big duvet from the closet and snuggling up. Fall is definitely my season.

But summer has been lovely and I've been privileged to do many a great thing.

So in honour of summer and the good times, I compiled a mix of some of the tunes that were my soundtrack for the past 4 months. I thought I'd make a bit of a (illegal) game of it and burn a few copies to give to those who wanted a fun little mix CD. Don't hate me for pirating music... hopefully it will inspire you to go and support the artists that you love.




MIX06

Be (Common)
Inside and Out (Feist)
I Don't Know What I Can Save You From (Kings Of Convenience)
Superstition (Stevie Wonder)
Neutroniks (k-os)
Keep on Movin' (?)
I'm So Excited (Le Tigre)
Lovers In The Backseat (Scissor Sisters)
Daybreaker (Beth Orton)
Rooftop Campers (Freeworm)
I Want You Back (The Jackson 5 )
Crazy (Gnarls Barkley)
Take The Long Way (Po' Girl)


So here's the deal... I will send a copy to the first five folks to leave a comment and tell me what your favourite part of the summer was. The beach? The martinis? A summer romance? Your brazilian wax?

Lookin' forward to hearing some of your stories...

happy harvesting :)

7 comments:

Lisa Baylis said...

woohoo - i want dan's 2006 summer mix - great for back to school and those days when you need a little pick up!
my favorite memory of the summer... sitting on dan's porch with ry, tim and dan, drinking gin and tonics and stalking leonard cohoen. plus if you throw in a mad montreal lightening storm, a smoked meat sandwich and a walk in the plateau you feel like a montrealer. not bad for a west coast girl.
hip hip hooray for back to school!

Anonymous said...

well my favourite summer moment so far would have to be my time spent in las vegas and vancouver. We acted like stupid tourists and spent a lot of money and it was fantastic!!! Love you dan

love cheryl

Anonymous said...

It was the summer that was..or still is, since I'm unofficially declaring it not over yet. With a summer so full of great memories - some expected (the OutGames), some unexpected (Bowron Lakes with Dan) - singling out one highlight is tough to do. Let's say the highlight was the summer itself. Bring on the tunes, Danny... :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Dan, I don't really want the cd But who else had great "Daniel" moments this summer? Clearing the back 5 acres with Dan, was great as he made room for the "The Little Spruce Trees" to grow big (But he's a little iffffy with a chain saw :) ).
Plus biking with the Kid to Quebec City was a highlight, finishing off with supper at the Hobbit and frollicking ith the rain os Sat night. Thanks for summer with Me Daniel Love PAPA

Anonymous said...

man, i want a copy of that! oh dan, i'm sitting in my dad's little attic room in McBride BC right now. it's drastically early in the morning and i'm gingerly sipping on a tepid cup of extremely strong coffee with soy milk. my summer holiday is still in full swing. suzie and i have survived my family clan at my cousin's wedding, drove through the rockie's to visit her cousin, endured shreiking rutting elk at a campsite, and generally had a fabulous time. tonight we're heading back to PG for some horse-back riding and off to GALA North for a dance and to check out the queer scene here. yeehaw! so, the summer continues to be great. one of my biggest memories, though was of being in montreal for the outgames. and dan came down to Toronto the next week for the AIDS conference. we had some lovely times hanging out and chatting and it was so good to have you in my little space and to meet edward. thanks for sticking around for my b-day party and the dress-up that ensued. that was definately a summer highlight. it can't go by without a little dress-up. and tonight, suz and i will be shocking PG with some boyish ties! what fun. sucking the marrow from the vanishing days of summer 2006! xo hilary

Daniel Baylis said...

Thanks for the comments so far!

Since my Dad doesn't want a CD, and I was going to give one to Tim anyway... that leaves two more CD's to give away!

My highlights:

•montana sunset w/Rachel

•a stary bowron lake sky w/Tim

•Outgaming (w/family to watch)

•the overwhelmingness of the AIDS Conference

•being alone at Mont Orford

•countless other moments with friends and family


Keep the stories coming!

Kyla said...

Okay so I am not too late to grab a cd???!!! YAY! I am sorry I haven't been reading your blog for a while but now I will make sure to keep up to date! And Superstition is one of my favourite songs!! I am pumped...so my highlites this summer are...getting knocked up! haha! Going to Vancouver with my honey, seeing friends, family, making real apple juice from our cute apple tree, going for Ethiopian food many times, and getting a great counsellor.
The one thing I didn't like this summer was the two big wasp bites on my toe and now on my knee that have swollen up and taken a week to heal!!! ARGH! So I am looking forward to the snow and all the death of the bugs that comes with it! Love your blogs Dan! And I think getting your cd will provoke me to send you some real mail!!

Kyla