Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Willie Nelson and the lesbian dog...


This mornig I was reading the globe and mail (www.theglobeandmail.com/arts), and found an exciting article on Willie Nelson. He has just released a special little country song called 'Cowboys are Frequently, Secretly Fond of Each Other'. I immediately hopped over to iTunes and bought it...

I just have to comment on the significance of this moment. I was raised on Willie Nelson and Dolly Parton (amoungst others) in a community where the closest thing to anything queer was my female dog, Kinda (pronounced 'kin-dah') trying to mount the neighbour's female dog. She was the best lesbian dog that I've ever had.

It is great to have these cultural icons promoting inclusion. So go check out the song, with it's chunky spanish guitar and smooth harmonica. For me it has becomes an instant classic... "you can't fuck with the lady that's sleepin' in each cowboy's head".

Willie, you have warmed my heart.

Thanks.

(oh yeah, welcome to my blog!)

3 comments:

Jim said...

well well well

what have we got here.

Anonymous said...

I love this blog

Anonymous said...

If I were on Brokeback Mountain, I would sincerely hope that Willie Nelson was nowhere in sight. But, with that being said, I applaud Willie for cutting a track that questions the symbolic cowboy, the iconic American heterosexual male.

Mr. Blogger, kudos for getting up on your soap box. I just hope when I'm done writing my book, Brokeback Mountain: Silence of the Lambs , a story about the lambs being silenced by the cowboys for trying to speak out about what really happened on the mountain, that you would also honour my book with critique on your blog.

See you on the court!
Eddie