Sunday, May 14, 2006

Ode to my Mother

(the story of my host family will continue shortly...)

Today, I would like to write about the queen of my real/genetic/post-dysfunctional family. And since today is Mother's Day, what better way to express the love one has for his mother, but to blog? I am a 21st century son after all.

I am a 21st century son with a global soul, and therefore, it is not a grand surprise that today I am thousands of kilometers away from my mother. When I was younger, I had little context of what my mother was like compared to other mothers. Then I set off on my own, I went to university, traveled to different countries, worked in different situations. It became evident that my mother was indeed unique, with strengths that I had never realized before. I began to realize my privilege.

I want to shout out my appreciation. My mother has always been an enormous source of support - emotionally, intellectually, financially. She has had the ability to step back and let me wander, yet the intelligence to have provided me with boundaries when I was young. These rules have installed in me a sense of self-discipline and knowledge of personal boundaries.

Today I celebrate the strong, supportive, adventurous, capable, intelligent woman that is my mother.

I also want to celebrate your mother too. If you are reading this, there is a good chance that you have had a positive impact on my life. And undoubtably, your own mother was a big part of why you are the fabulous person that you are. So with this logic, I am grateful for your mothers as well.

So thank you mom for being you. I wish I could be there with you today to help you in the garden, cook you a lovely dinner, and perhaps play a little Quiddler. Instead I offer you a raincheck and a blog.




As much as I am a bit of a Baylis, I am also small sprinkle of Sparks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Danny, I am truly honoured by the kind and loving words you have written about me. I am so proud and blessed to have a son like you (and a daughter like Lisa - better not play favouritism here!!) This is the nicest Mother's Day gift any mother could receive....love you tons. MOM