Saturday, November 11, 2006

A day to remember



This week saw some specific events in regards to one of the world's largest conflicts. In a matter of 4 days, one the most famous dictators was sentenced to death, the most powerful nation in the world witnessed its own power shift, and the man who planned the American attack on Iraq was sacked. Some may say that the tide has shifted. Has it?

On the home front, Canada continues to send soldiers to Afghanistan. We hear on a weekly basis of soldiers "fallen" in the line of duty, yet how does this affect us? Personally, I find that my reaction is becoming more and more blasé... and that is somewhat disheartening.

What is your experience? Are you angry, supportive, or apathetic? Are we helping or hindering in Afghanistan?

Please Comment.

4 comments:

Thai Jen said...

Wowsers. That's a big one. And a very political one. Being someone who loves big, political debates and issues, I offer this: yes and no.

I see the potential for good and the everyday bad in Afghanistan. I can't imagine abandoning women there, but can't imagine we are actually helping to build peace when we can barely keep it.

What frustrates me is I have very little information to base my opinion. Where is the objective media reporting? It's become more of an update (this mountain thrusted that, etc) than a background or indepth look at the issues. Harper's rotating stranglehold and ignorance routine to the media doens't help either. Explain to me again, Mr. Harper. Why ARE we there, exactly?

Anonymous said...

Hello Daniel. I guess this will be a little vague as is my interest in your two cents on everything (tongue in cheek I know you're sensitive), but it is simply stated as there is a finite amount of energy to be shared and as the weak get stronger then strong get weaker into closer approximation of balance, hooray for the Pakistani banker who loans money to the impoverished, it's time for a Jesus to force the elite to share, apocalypse is the end of fat white men owning everything and that tide is turning!

Anonymous said...

i'm more angry that most canadians seem to think we are on a peace keeping mission. instead of engaged at war which is the reality.

also... it's a terrible statement when we live in a country where we have free access to information without fear of being executed and yet people seem to know more about what's going on on desperate housewives instead of the news.

Daniel Baylis said...

Thanks for the comments so far.

I can echo the frustration of lack of information, at least reliable and unbiased information. For myself it's tough to know which sources to trust and which sources are feeding me propaganda... often it feels like I'm left to rely on intution. Which is an entirely valid form of guidance for many human processes, but could potentially fall short here.

And when i see images of caskets and bombs exploding, I can't help but ask myself, "Is there not a better way?"