Friday, July 07, 2006

The Lakes are Calling

Sometimes the best adventures are in our own backyards.

In the backyard of Prince George is one of the most famous canoe circuits in the world. It is called Bowron Lake Provincial Park and consists of six or seven clean, crisp lakes closely linked in a rectangular-like loop of jaw-droppingly beautiful scenery. It’s a paddler’s wet(suit) dream…

Yes, it is in my backyard, and embarrassingly I have yet to conquer the circuit, yet to complete my bushman’s rite of passage, yet to sacrifice my sweet city-boy blood to the hungry swarms of black flies.

However on Sunday, for the first time in twenty odd years, I went up to the Bowron Lakes with Tim to have a little peak around (I was told by my mother that we went camping there as a family, many years ago… however, we did not do the 7-day canoe circuit).

Tim and I brought a tent and spent 24 hours exploring the area: we hiked, swam in the cool water, canoed for a couple hours, and drank a couple beer in the lodge overlooking the lake. As well, we were treated to some special outdoor treats: a momma Grizzly bear with three cubs, a star-lit sky with satellites drifting by, and a dramatic rainstorm (which we narrowly escaped). It was quick breath of adventure and nature.

I was happy to get to see the area, but sad that I had such little time… as such, I have set a goal to take the time to paddle the circuit within the next five years.

In my previous posts, I have written about the desire for travel and adventure. In fact I advised you to get out there and add new stamps to your passport. For myself, the Bowron Lakes are a perfect example of not needing to go far to find beauty and adventure. In my own backyard there is an adventure waiting to happen, and I am looking forward to stepping up the challenge!

I hope you find some adventure your own backyard!


No comments: