Thursday, July 27, 2006

Let the games begin!




I am on the eve of a deliciously exciting week here in Montreal. The first ever World OutGames kicks off on the weekend with the opening ceremonies on Saturday night (featuring Cirque du Soleil, KD Lang, Martha Walsh, and more). The OutGames consist of a conference on Human Rights, numerous sporting competitions, as well as cultural events (such as dance and choral). It is an opportunity to bring people together, to gain media attention for gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgendered rights, to engage in sport, to enjoy the many shows that are taking place.

Here is an exerpt from the OutGames website:

Based on the principles of Participation and Celebration, Respect and Fairness, Innovation, Diversity and Empowerment (PRIDE), the games welcome everyone, regardless of their sexual orientation, age, gender, race, religion, nationality, ethnicity, physical challenge, political beliefs, physical ability, athletic/artistic skills or HIV/ health status. There are no minimum athletic standards to qualify for the Outgames. People with specific needs or disabilities are integrated as full-fledged participants, volunteers, officials and spectators.


For myself, this week will serve as a celebration of sorts. I have come a long way from that 17 year old boy with a secret and no way of expressing himself. I know what it means to feel isolated, I know how it feels to be called a "fag", and I know that the process to feeling comfortable in my own skin has been somewhat tumultuous.

These days, I know how it feels to have community, to feel loved, and to feel proud. I am extremely blessed to be able to be accepted and supported by my family, friends, and a nation that is on the forefront of non-heterosexual rights. This week I celebrate the transition from isolation to community, from self-confused to self-connected, and from shame to pride.

It still brings tears to my eyes... and I hope it always will.

Thanks for being a part of my process.

Dan



2 comments:

Kyla said...

Glad to hear that such an amazing event is taking place in our life time, and in your city! You will have to let me know how it all goes. I am proud of you for being able to be yourself, I think it is a struggle most people have.

Anonymous said...

blah blah blah. go gold or go home. :)