Sunday, September 10, 2006

beating my best

This morning I rolled myself out of bed at 7am (keeping in mind that it is a Sunday) and headed for the starting line of the 10km race that I had so masochistically enforced upon myself. I am a sucker for self punishment.

Actually, now that I've started running races, it has become a continual competition with myself to beat my "PB" (personal best). Each race is a chance to be better, a chance to kick my own ass, and then a chance to gloat about it in my journal.

My PB for the ten kilometer distance was established last year at 42 minutes. Not bad... but I knew I could do better. So this morning, inspired by the tightness of my new retro-knee-high socks, I set out to enter the "thirties". I wanted a score below 40 minutes.

The race was long, with a strong sensation to vomit around the 8km mark, but I managed to keep the bile in my stomach. I entered the Olympic Stadium (the site of the finish line) to the cheers of Tim and Betty-Lou, which inspired me to push harder. Upon rounding the last corner, I saw the clock above the finish line... it read 39 minutes, 45 seconds. So with 100 meters to go, I gave it my all, crossing the line as the clock turned to 40 minutes.

So did I get my below 40 time?

Well I verified my time a couple hours ago, and I am proud to announce that my new PB is 39:59.6... Yeehaw! Yup, I snuck in with 0.4 seconds to spare.

I would like to dedicate my race to irony and individuality. There was a tragic lack of representation of disheveled retro runners with short-shorts, head bands, and tube socks...

If I am going to beat myself, I am going to kick my ass with style.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU ROCK DUDE!!! AND THAT OUTFIT IS AMAZING! SORRY I MISSED IT BUDDY BUT YOU STILL ROCK MY WORLD!
CHEERS TO YOU
MYLÈNE

Kyla said...

Way to go Dan! And just so you know, the tube socks up to the knees is my thing!

Anonymous said...

I can see how that statistics course was of real value...amazing graph!!!