Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Queer Issues



This week was the annual "Queer Issue" with the newspaper that I write for (The Link), and like an eager little gay journalist, I submitted two articles... and they were both published!

The first was a collaborative effort with my boyfriend, Tim. It is essentially a discussion that we have frequently had over the labels that we give ourselves. And the second article is an exploration of why it is problematic to equate "Gay" and "AIDS".

Anyway, I hope you take the time to click on the links, read, and let me know what you think!


* * * *

Designer Labels

Gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered, two-spirited, queer, dyke, byke, fag, twink, gym bunny, leather daddy, lipstick lesbian, tranny, bear, cub, alti-queer, homosexual, heteroflexible--this list could go on. We are a community that is obsessed with not only identity, but labelling our identities. Choosing a label is a personal process, reflects individual values, and can often incorporate a myriad of sub-identities.

Two boys, with similar backgrounds, education, upbringing, and appreciation for everything fabulous, can fundamentally disagree on the labels they prefer. Risking relationship bliss, the boyfriends duke it out to defend the label of their choice...



Continue here: Designer Labels


* * * *


World Without AIDS

This summer I was privileged to attend the International AIDS Conference in Toronto. The conference coincided sadly, yet appropriately, with the 25th anniversary of the start of the pandemic. In terms of a global health pandemic, twenty-five years is a long time. The gravity of this longevity is augmented by the fact that there is no apparent end in sight--millions of human lives have already been lost and many more continue to be lost by a preventable virus.

Coincidentally, I am 25 years old; this means that I have never known a world without AIDS...



Continue here: World Without AIDS

3 comments:

Thai Jen said...

Dan, that is hilarious (the first article, not the second...oops). I'm at work trying not to laugh out loud. That's a helluva a relationship you have...in a wonderful, witty banter kind of way.
Peas

Anonymous said...

Hey Dan!

It is Lisa's friend, Annalise. Lisa told me about your blog when I saw her in the spring. I have finally gotten around to checking it out. You are a brillant writer and your blog is quite funny (when you mean it to be anyways). It is good to hear you are enjoying your life in Montreal. I am now living in London (ON), so I am a little closer to your neck-of-the-woods. Anyway, I thought I would say, "Hello" as it seems like the right thing to do now that I have entered your virtual life. Keep up the good work because your blog is great! Enjoy your Thanksgiving weekend! - AJ

Kyla said...

Dan,
Just have to say that your writing is incredible. Keep it up!