Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Reginald's Law of Realization


This column is dedicated to two individuals: Terry Kyle (for your warmth and energy) and to my father (for teaching me adventure).


* * *

The semester is wrapping up quickly. After exams are conquered, some of us will keep trudging away through spring classes, some of us will commence our summer employment, and some of us will be closing a chapter of our lives, with university degrees completed.

For those who are not returning, it can be tough to say goodbye to school… heck, it can be tough to say goodbye to a lot of things. But university is an especially formative time for many people. I know that when I finish (next April), I will leave deeply impacted by my university years. How will I make the transition from school to “the next phase”? I often wonder how will my life be different when I finish. Where will I be in 5 years?

Life is pretty random; we don’t always know where we’ll end up.

For instance, as I write this, my father (Reginald) is just north of Nowheresville, Ontario in an 18-wheel cargo truck heading east with a random man named “Oscar”.

For this little anecdote to make sense, allow me to take you back a couple of months…

On one snowy day in February, I returned to my computer (after a procrastinating pause to pluck my nose hairs) to find a slew of MSN messages from my father (who lives in Prince George, BC) telling me about his highlight of the day (usually this involves walking to get the mail). This particular message was not unlike any of the other rambling messages that I have received… until I got to the end.

“By the way, Dan, I think I’ll hitchhike across Canada to visit you in April.”

“Sure Dad”, I thought, “I’ll just paddle my canoe to Winnipeg to meet you. Then for shits and giggles, we’ll build a hot-air balloon from corncobs and fly to the Galapagos Islands to observe endangered albino dingbats.” My father… what a kook!

But not one to scoff at adventure, Reginald decided that his thumb could (and would) get him to Montreal. He hit the highway last Monday with a brown bag lunch, a backpack, and a faith that humanity would get him where he wanted to go.

Well, “humanity” took him to Red Deer, Alberta that day. But then it carried him through the prairies, north across the Great Lakes, and soon he will arrive into Toronto.

My father’s trip is becoming a learning experience for all of us. It turns out that hitchhiking in the snow kind of sucks, but that truckers are generally pretty nice (if not desperately in need of social interaction). Shortly into his trip, a talkative trucker from El Salvador picked up my snow-covered father from the side of the road. The two have become “Highway One” buddies for a couple thousand kilometers now.

Once in Toronto, Reginald plans to take the train up to Montreal. He left me a weary sounding phone message last night, “After 4000 kilometers of keeping people company, I can’t wait to get a seat to myself and to not talk to anyone.” Fair enough, I say.

I must admit that I admire my father’s sense of adventure. He has a deep-rooted theory that everything he needs in life will somehow be provided. I think Reginald’s theory shall soon be declared as “Reginald’s Law of Realization” – ask what you need, and it shall be realized.

So if you are saying “au revoir” to a certain stage in your life, good luck with transitioning into work or travels or whatever is next for you. Endings are also beginnings (but it’s okay to get sad anyway). I hope you go forth with a couple of lessons. I’ve learned a few things myself recently…

Sometimes a good ride will cost us nothing. Sometimes a willingness to talk to people will get us far. And sometimes we simply need space to be alone.

I guess it just takes a bit of courage to put your thumb out and hope that there might be a few good souls to help you get where you want to go.

May your next chapter be filled with good people and a bit of adventure…




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Article. I saw Reg the day he left and with a new hair cut, he was the happiest to be dropped off at the edge of town in minus 14 weather. When you ask Javie where is Grandpa, he says "On a big adventure, like Dora" (Dora the Explorer). Turning television into reality, a great role model. Hats off to you Reg.

Daniel Baylis said...

Hey Meaghan!

Thanks for commenting! I think you've coined a new slogan for my Dad... "Turning television into reality".

Too funny.

Enjoy the spring!

Anonymous said...

Thank You, Daniel, for the kind words. I do feel that an optimistic view of life tends to make all your dreams come true. At this later stage of life, I look back and can't believe how wonderful my journey has been, and continues to be. I fully believe that if you dream it; it will occur.
I met 9 interesting people on my journey across Canada and experienced the joys (??) of spending 60 hours in an 18 wheeler.
Helen Keller said "Life is and adventure, or it is nothing!" I know your life will have even more adventure then mine.
Dan you are a wonderful writer, human being, and son. Love always DAD (Reginald)

Anonymous said...

Heh, you're a thought provoking young man, aren't you Danny-boy? Just stumbled across your blog by random internet happenstance... the google "I'm feeling lucky" button has finally paid off.

Regarding the randomness of life, I've always liked Max Ehrmann's `Desiderata', in particular: "whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."

You can take a significant journey without ever taking a step. Witness any new life entering the world. For me, my niece being born taught me more about life than any concatenation of miles on the road, or any interaction with anyone else on the planet.

We all define ourselves in different ways - sometimes the journey is as much in finding the things about ourselves that are significant. I was dry-eyed burying my father but broke down when I found the gravestone of my namesake, who died before I was ever born.

Sometimes we need to read something written miles away by someone totally disconnected to remind ourselves that we're not so different at the end of the day.

Hats off to your dad, he's an amazing man.

Kudos on the wicked blog - I'm salivating at the thought of digging through your digital rambling.

Anonymous said...

By the way, thanks Mr. Pacho...

it was a pleasure to read your comments. i hope that you continually share your thoughts and opinions.