Saturday, April 14, 2007

tree/plugs

Here's the second installation of "tree/plugs". These are some simple recommendations based on the best of what life has offered up recently. Keep me posted if you have suggestions!

* * *

[heard] Lucinda Williams. Named as “America’s Best Songwriter” by Time Magazine in 2002, Lucinda released a new album in February entitled WEST, it follows a similar format to her other albums, however this one perhaps a bit more grittier than recent works. She knows how to take a subject, find minimal (yet succinct) lyrics, and inject it with delicate wisdom. It’s the kind of music that you return to and keep finding layers.

In WEST, Lucinda starts out strong with Are You Alright, a medium paced “drivin’ in the country” song where she simply asks about the wellbeing of a friend who has drifted off. It is an anthem to the folks with whom we’ve lost touch. Another favourite is What if… a song that explores an alternative world where things are turned upside down, “I shudder to think/ what it would mean/ if the president wore pink/ or if a prostitute was queen.” Finally, in classic Lucinda fashion, she finishes with a song that could soften the Rocky Mountains. The title track, West, is an ode to openness; it is stretching out in the sun and letting yourself be warmed. We could all use a bit of that.

I’ll be on the next plane… heading west.



[read] The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho). After a recent craving for inspiration, I picked up this fable for the second time. It was a much needed refresher – although it might not be for everyone. I hover between writing it off for its religious undertones to proclaiming it as one of the best pieces of literature ever written. It appeals to certain beliefs that I hold: we speak a single language (we are one) and that, by following our dreams, we help the world become better. It is a story for our souls.

Read it. Tell me what you think.




[seen] Microcosmos. Warning, seeing this movie may cause you to give up escargots forever. Never have snails been so… oh I don’t know… sensual and erotic? The filmmakers take us inside the purposeful world of insects, a world that most of us never actually witness at this level of intimacy. The entire film is set to classical music draped over colourful insect images. It goes beyond bug fornication, to unveil the mini-realities of the heroes of our ecosystems. You really have to see it to believe it.

It is almost enough to make me forgive all the blackflies in the world… almost.



[experienced] Facebook. The age of anonymity is officially over. The world’s hottest online profiling website, Facebook, now offers us the opportunity to reconnect with everyone from our pasts… even those folks that you spent a decade trying to forget. It becomes an addiction. Suddenly you are having disjointed conversations with people who you haven’t seen in years… hmmm, can I sum up the past 10 years in three sentences?

"Acquired some wisdom via post-secondary education, dead-end jobs, and humbling backpacking trips. Lines around the eyes indicate an attempt to look deeper into things. Blundered at love (multiple times over)… but still going back for more. Daniel = gratified."

Shit. Well I guess 3.5 sentences will work.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's interesting how you and I both got sucked into the Facebook chain reaction vortex at around the same time. Probably a coincidence, but you never know... we're all connected.

My story is that I was on with only a few friends from ConU, but suddenly I discovered a group for my old high school, and BAM! everyone came out of the woodwork.

It's kind of cool, and both pleasantly and infuriatingly distracting, but like you, I get really tired of summing up the past 16 years in three sentences. ;)

(I'm so old.)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Lucinda Williams!! I really have to check out her new album.

Anonymous said...

Hey,

I agree with you...the Alchemist is one of the greatest book I have read in my life. It's deep and it always feel good after reading this masterpiece. And it's a book to be read several time to really appreciate it. I just read it for the second time a month ago!

Facebook is really interesting but i'm still discovering the many possibilities!

For Lucinda Williams, I will certainly listen to it. My personnal recent suggestions are the Pupinni Sisters, sounding like les Triplettes de Bellevilles, light, funny and delicious, and the album 9 from Damien Rice, intense and powerfull! Have fun!

Anonymous said...

hey! just found you over last.fm
not only youve got an exellent music taste but also in many other things!
the alchemist is an amazing book, if you liked it you should also try "the zahir" by the same author.. also, i dont know if its any popular in america, but here in europe it had a huge success: "le petit prince" by antoine de saint-exupery ("the little prince")
cheers and keep on bloggin

ps. @ francis damien rice is a good suggestion!!