Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination: March 21


As you may know, I am currently in an under-graduate University program focused around 'Human Relations'. As part of this, I have been exploring the concept of respecting diversity in human relations. Much of the coursework revolves around discrimination (such as racism, ablism, agism, & heterosexism), while also being subjective of individual privilege and right.

The United Nations has declared March 21st the 'International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimation'. This day was chosen to commemorate South African peaceful protestors who were met with excessive police force back in 1960 for standing up against racist law and policy.

To honour the day I would like to share an excerpt from an article I wrote critiquing my own experience of racism. It is a bit longer than my other posts, but I encourage you to take a couple minutes to read it, think about it, and post a comment.




Questioning the System, Questioning Myself

The more I read, in regards to racism, the more troubled I become. I think it is definitely simpler for a myself to abstain from questioning my own system of beliefs and values, than to become critical of them and risk having the foundations of this very system threatened. In questioning, I lead myself down a path where my own identity could be endangered. I am also concerned when I relate this process to a cultural level.

I think it would be easy for us to live in a world where we believe the system to be good and moral and fair; I imagine that a large percentage of our society does. It is easy to believe that there is equality and that we get what we deserve. Yet these very beliefs, as I am beginning to see, perpetuate oppression and the covering of realities. I am concerned for our society if we are unwilling to challenge ourselves to see multiple realities; I am concerned if we do not give voice to those who are silenced by our cultural and governmental systems.

On a personal level, I feel troubled by my lack of knowledge. I have recently read an article on the history of Japanese-Canadian treatment during World War II (the book is 'Last Steps to Freedom: The Evolution of Canadian Racism' by John Boyko). This has had a particular impact, not only because it is a sad chapter in the history of Canadian ‘democracy’, but because I am from British Columbia, where much of these racists events took place, and I had no previous knowledge of this.

Knowing that the highways, in which I have so often driven over, were created through the use of Japanese-Canadian refugee labour has tainted my views of my own cultural history. I feel somewhat embarrassed of my cultural roots, and disappointed that I did not know more about the history of Canadian Racism. I hope that with knowledge, and some self-exploration, I will be part of a movement to make amends with a past that has been unjust and shameful.

Racial self-exploration is the process of me questioning my own racializations or racial beliefs. I have prided myself for many years on my open-minded attitude and for being nonjudgmental to people from all walks of life. These are values that are deeply engrained into my belief system. But does this mean I am not capable of being racist? Definitely not, I am human… to live is to make judgments. Or is it? Can our judgments be controlled? I guess my biggest problem is identifying any racially problematic behaviours or beliefs that I am not conscious of; yet how do I accomplish this? Perhaps by asking myself these questions, and by asking for feedback from the individuals with whom I interact.

I think it would be easy, because of my liberal values, to assume that I am free of racism. Yet, because I live in a culture that fosters racism, I am not free of racism. My responsibility lays in myself, in exploring the ways that I could be supporting systemic and cultural racism, and making changes so that my actions are in line with my politics and beliefs.




It means a great deal to me if you have read this.
I am grateful for your time and openness.
Please comment if you have something to say.

7 comments:

Kyla said...

Well I am glad to have read your piece on rasism. I think it is such an incredibly huge issue that does not seem to be improving. I also struggle with the realization that I hold some prejudices against certain people especially living in a place that has so much open racism. I find myself looking at people and judging them before I even meet them and I struggle with this daily. I would like to say that I am not racist but really I am a work in progress. I think a person needs to acknowlege what they have done wrong and learn to do it better. I am glad that you care so much and I do believe that you are one of the most non-judgemental people I have met. It is something I would like to aspire to. Thank you for writing about this.

Kyla said...

Okay I already left a comment but i have just one more. Working in a Muslim school I feel that I am getting to know people of many different races and religious beliefs. I like that I am personally getting to know people from different backgrounds. It makes me realize that everyone is that same no matter where you come from. That makes me feel like I may not judge people so quickly, but I still struggle with that.
Anyways, I have to wear a long black cloak to work and often I will wear it out for lunch or to get groceries ect. I have had so many uncomfortable experiences with people openly staring at me. I have also had a few positive experiences with people asking where I worked. The thing is I feel like this is good for me to know what it feels like to stand out in my own city. I know a little of what it feels like to get laughed at, talked about, and stared at because of how I look. I have not had that experience before. It is humbling and I think it has opened my eyes to how I may be treating others. Just a thought.

Daniel Baylis said...

Hey, thanks for sharing your example Kyla.

It's so crazy how we make up stories and assumptions about people based on such things as clothing or skin colour.

I am a 'work in progress as well'!

Anonymous said...

Hello Dan, thanks again for sharing your thoughts. I certainly feel your point about challenging our perceptions that equality exists for everyone in Canada. With the recent change in government my stepdad and I have been debating many things, one of which is his belief that everyone has equal opportunities to succeed no matter what their background...if they choose to work hard enough! I find that concept hard to accept. He has drilled into my head since I was a kid growing up in College Heights that LIFE IS NOT FAIR. While that statement is technically realistic, does it not also give us a handy excuse? LIFE IS NOT FAIR, RACISM WILL NEVER END, so just deal with it? I try to remember that equal does not mean the same. We can treat our fellow Canadians, fellow human beings for that matter, the same but does that mean we are treating them as equals? Does everyone want to be treated the same? I certainly dislike being put into a box based on my gender, but I definitely do not want to be treated the same as a man! So what if we decided to simply stop highlighting differences and just treat people like people? Everyone is different and I believe those differences must be acknowledged, celebrated and appreciated just as much as our similarities. However, I have not missed your point that it is one thing to criticise racism and a whole other thing to open your eyes to your own prejudices. I will think some more and get back to you. Thanks Dan.
-Sheri Beaulieu

Daniel Baylis said...

Thanks for the thoughts Sheri...

I think it's important, at least for myself, to realize that we all start out on a different playing field based on the privileges that we are born into. As a white, able-bodied, male I acknowledge that it was certainly easier for me to access postsecondary education than it would be for others.

My work involves equalizing this playing field, so that the system is more just for all individuals involved.

Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Hello there, my name is Catherine - Baylis, yes I am Dan's STEPMOTHER!I am proud to say that Dan and I are alot alike, we often wonder how the genes skipped around like that:) I love that you are writing about racism Dan. Racism is such a destructive force. As an Aboriginal womam, of mixed ancestry, I have always walked in this space that is particular to those of mixed ancestry, in Canada theAboriginal experience has its' own uniqueness. This concept of racism is so tied to privilege. It is such a privilege to be able to engage in this type of dialogue, to have access to a computer, to be able to read. I can engage in this kind of dialogue because I have hope in my life. Racism is part of my life, personally and professionally. I work downtown Prince George where the impact of 'racism' is so painfully evident. All my senses are impacted daily. Racism where I work smells like blood, urine, vomit and stale booze. It looks like some people choosing to walk on the other side of the street to avoid it, it looks like people in suits and people in rags, it feels endless and hopeless and it feels like powerlessnes, it tastes like bitter bile and it sounds like angry words and it looks like track and abcesses and young girls and boys strolling the streets in hopes of turning a trick to feed their habits or themselves or their kids or their pimps. And no Sherri, I too do not believe that hard work is all it takes to be 'successful' in the face of racism. It takes people being willing to look at, as you say, their own biases and prejudices and recognizing that we all have them. When I am talking to people about racism nowadays I say that racism is an ugly word which the very use of creates barriers to dialogue, so instead, let's talk about the things we have learned in our lives about other people and our differences and then let's talk about what that looks like, how what we have learned/ or been socialized to believe impacts how we are in the world and with each other. Let's get rid of the notion of tolerance and learn to accept. A few quick uneditted thoughts on a topic that deserves so much more. Thanks to Dan for starting this dialogue and thanks to others who share their thoughts, if everyone did this our world would be a place of less tolerance and more acceptance. I too am a work in progress. Miigwich.

Daniel Baylis said...

I am always honoured to have your thoughts and experienced shared.

I like your approach... what does 'difference' look like? What does it mean to 'accept' someone versus to 'tolerate' someone? Some questions that I will ask myself.

Thanks Cathy!