Sunday, April 23, 2006

Born Into Transformation



"When I have a camera in my hands I feel happy. I feel like I am learning something...I can be someone." -Suchitra, 14




Change is hard to create. In my studies I have spent the past semester engaged in thoughts of how to create and promote change. It is not easy. We resist change out of fear of loss- losing security, pride, the support of loved ones, our routines, and our money. Some change is well needed; some change is heartbreaking.

Change is quite often scary. Sometimes we are forced to change without consenting, while other times the fear of the unknown is motivation enough to stay how we are. Sometimes the best thing to do is not to change.

Change takes time. Because change takes time, often when we see no immediate results, we become discouraged and give up. It is natural to not want to invest our energies into creating change if there are no positive outcomes. Patience is difficult; change is a small leap of faith.



I have just had the privilege of watching a film that is about transformation. It is called Born Into Brothels and it tells the story of a group of children living in the red light district of Calcutta, where their mothers are sex-trade workers. The children are given cameras, taught how to use them, and then capture the world through their unique perspectives. It is inspiring to watch the process.

Often times I can personally reach points of frustration with myself, with life, with my culture. It is during these times that the inevitable questions are raised, “What’s the use? Will my efforts even make an impact? Why do I bother?”

If you can relate to these questions, then check out the film… it is a form of often needed nourishment. If you cannot relate to these questions, then check out the film. Then dare yourself to ask questions.

Here’s one…

Change will happen whether I like it or not, so how can I engage with the world so that it can be positive?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Daniel,

I have also seen 'Born Into Brothels' and I want to comment on it.

It was a positive movie about creating hope and it highlighted how the simple act of caring about someone can affect them so greatly.

That said, I found the movie was problematic at points with some judgments, and moral superiority that made me uncomfortable. It was interesting to observe the instructor and how she reacted to her challenges within a different cultural setting. You see her get angry, sad, anxious, and frustrated all of which are warranted. Although I felt bad for her because I thought that I was watching her burnout. I came away from the film thinking about how one is to attempt to create change simultaneously as negotiating there own emotions that are attached to there drive for change. It is often the anger, sadness or frustration that drives us to try and initiate change in the world. Yet it is these same emotions that run us down, burn us out, and leave us feeling defeated.


Derek

Daniel Baylis said...

Lovely to have your thoughts Derek!

It raises important questions about ethics when it comes to change. When I am trying to create change, what is my motivation for doing so? What right do I have to impose my values/morals on other people? What are the implications of intervening in other peoples lives?

For me, the most impactful aspect of the film was the 3-year follow up and hearing about the sense of cohesion amoungst the children who were involved in the program. I would be interested to continue to see the long term impact.

Thanks again for the comments.

Kyla said...

I too have seem the film, a few months ago. It brought me to tears and also to hope for some of those children. It made me happy that someone would care enough to share something so wonderful with these forgotten children. I cry for what people do to each other, and I pray for more people who are willing to help.