Tuesday, June 13, 2006

One Night In Fargo

It’s Tuesday morning, and I’m on the Interstate 94 highway in Northern Dakota. I’ve got the sun shining down, some country music coming through the radio, and prairie fields as far as the eye can see. It’s the true mid-west experience… except instead of a noble stallion, I have an iBook.

So far the road trip is going really well; I am reminded of my love for movement and travel. We’ve been doing long days in a little car, but thankfully I am joined by two fun-loving and laidback friends: Rachel and John.

I don’t have much battery, so I will give the highlights (and lowlights) of the trip so far:

• Driving through Chicago at night. The Sears Tower had two pillars in the shape of devil horns, lit up in red light… the evil headquarters of corporate America.

• Eating meals in greasy American diners. The people have been extremely friendly and warm. At one diner they had a special section for “Professional Truck Drivers”.

• Rachel hit a raccoon… there is a very specific sound when a car collides with a large rodent. I hope that you don’t have to hear it. Ever.

• Spending the night in FARGO! Yup, I’ve seen the movie, now I’m living the experience. We’ve got a dead raccoon in the trunk, we just need to find a wood-chipper.

• A sketchy highway motel with a bizarre wet spot on the carpet and the heavy sent of perfume in the air.

That's all I have time for now! (we're currently pulled into the driveway of some random citizen, stealing his/her wireless internet! God Bless America!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

when are you hitting the vancougar?

Anonymous said...

MOn dieu, poor RAcoon! If you don't find a wood chipper in FArgo (saw the movie, can get quite messy red blood on white snow!)

I'm sure you can burry it.... just a suggestion .

toodles and kisses
Mylène