Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Peace and Love (and Homeward Bound)

A couple of weeks ago, over dinner conversation, I asked my Host Mother if she was a hippie in the 70’s. I had a sneaking suspicion because she seems to enjoy talking about sex and works as an artisan. She replied to me, “I was more ‘Peace and Love’, then a hippie because I didn’t smoke enough pot.”

* * *

So yesterday I went for a job interview at the “Musée de la Défense Aérienne”. They are searching for two tour guides for the summer, and I met the qualifications… so I thought, “why not?” I could spend the summer learning about planes, practicing my French, and Learning about the Military (the museum is on the Canadian Forces Base Bagotville).

Before the interview, I had thought about what it would be like to be in a Military Air-force work environment. My imagination had conjured up images of Top Gun… strapping men with moustaches and aviator sunglasses, having lunch breaks with Maverick and Goose, getting random free rides in the F-14 Tomcats, the soundtrack to my summer being “Take My Breath Away”. You know, the usual stuff.


Well, as we know, sometimes my imagination races faster than reality.

At the interview, I was greeted by a pimply-faced, recruit from Ontario who is in Bagotville for the summer. He was indeed very nice as he gave me the tour of the museum, going into excited detail about the planes used in World War I and II. He spoke eagerly about the most effective bombs and guns. Then he told me that at the Royal Military College, it’s hard to meet girls. Shocking.

I began to imagine myself giving the tour. Would I be that interested in learning the history of Aero-War? Could I give a passionate and engaging tour to the public? Should I spend the next five weeks here, talking about planes and war and bombs? Ultimately, it would have been a very intriguing and random experience, but no, I just don’t think it’s my scene.

Like my Host Mother, I think that I am just a little too “Peace and Love”.

* * *

After the interview yesterday, I made my decision: I will be heading to BC for 3 weeks. Thank you to those who shared their thoughts and ears with me as I hummed and hoed for the past couple of weeks. So if you are in BC, then I hope to get a chance to meet up with you in the next month!

My sister gave me some good advice: “When you don’t know what to do, then sometimes the best thing to do is to go home.”

Homeward bound, I am.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Excellent choice.
There will be a Volleyball Tournament waiting for you in Vancouver.
Check your E-mail for details!!!